If you are facing a DWI/DUI, your driver’s license has been suspended or revoked.  Driving without a license will only makes things worse for you.  An Occupation Driver’s License, an ODL, is a special restricted license that lets you drive a non-commercial vehicle for work, school or to perform essential household duties.


To get an ODL, you have to petition the court, get a court order, and take that court order to the Texas Department of Public Safety.  It is a complicated process that can take some time.  AmblerLaw helps our clients get their ODL.  Here are the steps:

1. Are you Eligible?

                You cannot get an ODL if:

  • You lost your driving privileges because of a mental or physical disability.

  • You lost your driving privileges for failure to pay child support.

  • You need it to drive a commercial motor vehicle.

  • The judge thinks you do not have an essential need.

  • The judge is worried about public safety.

  • You have received two ODLs in the past 10 years after a conviction.

  • You have a “hard suspension” waiting period due to a prior DWI arrest or conviction.


If you think you are eligible, you can check at www.Texas.gov/driver.  The click on “Drivers License Reinstatement and Status.”  If you’re not eligible, it will tell you what requirements you need to meet, what fees you need to pay, and any waiver programs.  The website is updated daily.  But, the site may not show court actions, violations from other states, or child-support issues that may effect your eligibility.


You can also pay fees on the website.  If you prefer, you can call DPS at 512.424.2600 (English) or 512.424.7181 (Español).

2. Are you Qualified?

Even if you get a court order granting you permission to get an ODL, DPS won't give it to you if you are not qualified to have a license.  These things make you unqualified:

  • You lost your driving privileges for a medical condition.

  • You lost your driving privileges because you owe child support.

  • You have gotten two ODLs after a conviction in the past 10 years.

  • You don’t qualify to get a Texas driver’s license because you are in the United States unlawfully.

3. Get your Paperwork

If attorney Rachel Ambler and AmblerLaw represent you, you only need to send AmblerLaw a copy of your SR-22.  AmblerLaw will take care of these things for you:

  • Get the Certified Abstract (Type AR) of your driving record to give the court.

  • Prepare an affidavit for you to prove to the court you need the ODL.

  • Notarize the affidavit when you sign it.

  • Prepare the petition asking the court to give you an ODL.

  • Prepare the order for the judge to sign ordering DPS to give you an ODL.

  • File the petition and paperwork with the court.

  • Go in front of the judge, make your case, ask the judge to sign the order.

  • Follow up with the court to make sure the order gets signed.

  • Get the certified copies of the signed order for you.

  • Deliver the certified copies to you.


If AmblerLaw, or your attorney, doesn't do all this for you, you will have to do it yourself.

If you're handling all this for yourself, the place where you file your petition is very important

  • If your license was automatically suspended or canceled following a conviction, file the Petition in the same court that convicted you.

  • If your license has not been suspended or canceled following a conviction, file the Petition in the county where you live or where the offense that is currently suspending your license occurred.  You may have a choice between filing in District Court, County Court-at-Law or Justice of the Peace (JP) court. If so, you may want to research local procedures, court costs, and court scheduling to decide which court is best for your situation.

4. After the Order is Signed

Once the judge signs the order, you don't have your official ODL yet.  A court’s ODL order is not the license itself.  It is a court order telling DPS to issue an occupational driver’s license to you.  You still have to get things submitted to DPS.


Unless you have a "hard suspension, " you can use a certified copy of the order as a driver's license for 45 days after the date it is signed.  This gives you time to get things handled with DPS.


A hard suspension is when your license was suspended for refusing or failing a blood or breath test when arrested for DWI or other alcohol or drug-related driving or boating offense, the order for ODL cannot take effect for:

  • 90 days after your license was suspended, if in the 5 years before your arrest your license was suspended because of an alcohol or drug-related arrest.

  • 180 days after your license was suspended, if in the 5 years before your arrest your license was suspended because of a DWI, Intoxication Assault, or Manslaughter conviction.

  • 365 days after your license was suspended, if in the 5 years before your arrest your license was suspended because of a second (or more) DWI, Intoxication Assault, or Manslaughter conviction.


Do not wait until the last few days to get your paperwork to DPS!  If you don't have your ODL from DPS before day 45, you cannot drive!  But, you can go back to court for an amended order.

Mail the following documents to DPS as soon as possible!

  • A certified copy of your Petition for ODL;

  • A certified copy of the Order for ODL signed by the Judge;

  • Your SR-22 proof of insurance certificate;

  • A check, money order, or cashier’s check payable to "Texas DPS" for the ODL fee.  Send $10 for a 1-year license or $20 for a 2-year license.

  • A check, money order, or cashier’s check made out to "Texas DPS" for the amount you owe in reinstatement fees, if any.  To find out how much you owe, go to www.Texas.gov/driver or call DPS at 512.424.2600 (English) or 512.424.7181 (Español). 


Mail all the documents together by certified mail/return receipt requested (so you have proof you mailed them) to:

Texas DPS Central Cash Receiving
Box 15999
Austin, Texas  78761-5999

Has your license been suspended?

Getting an Occupational Driver's License yourself is certainly possible.  But, it can be very confusing if you're not a lawyer.  And, if you get it wrong, there could be consequences.

AmblerLaw is ready to fight for your driver's license.  Having AmblerLaw represent you on your ODL can make the process much easier for you.  Rachel Ambler can help you get your Occupational Driver's License.



Rachel Ambler has been in Midland/Odessa since 2001.  She knows it.  She gets it.  She's been called a "pitbull on a chain," because she won't stop fighting for you.  When your license is suspended after a DWI/DUI, that's exactly what you want.  Call AmblerLaw today.

Car Wreck Lawyer Midland,  Car Wreck Lawyer Odessa, Car Wreck Lawyer Big Spring,  Car Wreck Lawyer Andrews,  Car Wreck Lawyer Pecos,  Car Wreck Lawyer Monahans,  Car Wreck Lawyer Orla, Truck Wreck Lawyer Midland,  Truck Wreck Lawyer Odessa, Truck Wreck Lawyer Big Spring,  Truck Wreck Lawyer Andrews,  Truck Wreck Lawyer Pecos,  Truck Wreck Lawyer Monahans,  Truck Wreck Lawyer Orla, 18-Wheeler Wreck Lawyer Midland,  18-Wheeler Wreck Lawyer Odessa, 18-Wheeler Wreck Lawyer Big Spring,  18-Wheeler Wreck Lawyer Andrews,  18-Wheeler Wreck Lawyer Pecos,  18-Wheeler Wreck Lawyer Monahans,  18-Wheeler Wreck Lawyer Orla, Oilfield Injury Lawyer Midland,  Oilfield Injury Lawyer Odessa, Oilfield Injury Lawyer Big Spring,  Oilfield Injury Lawyer Andrews,  Oilfield Injury Lawyer Pecos,  Oilfield Injury Lawyer Monahans,  Oilfield Injury Lawyer Orla, Wrongful Death Lawyer Midland,  Wrongful Death Lawyer Odessa, Wrongful Death Lawyer Big Spring,  Wrongful Death Lawyer Andrews,  Wrongful Death Lawyer Pecos,  Wrongful Death Lawyer Monahans,  Wrongful Death Lawyer Orla

  • AmblerLaw on Twitter
  • AmblerLaw on Google+
  • AmblerLaw on Facebook
  • AmblerLaw on Yelp

511 N. Lincoln Avenue • Odessa, Texas 79761

Car Accident Attorney Midland,  Car Accident Attorney Odessa, Car Accident Attorney Big Spring,  Car Accident Attorney Andrews,  Car Accident Attorney Pecos,  Car Accident Attorney Monahans,  Car Accident Attorney Orla, Truck Accident Attorney Midland,  Truck Accident Attorney Odessa, Truck Accident Attorney Big Spring,  Truck Accident Attorney Andrews,  Truck Accident Attorney Pecos,  Truck Accident Attorney Monahans,  Truck Accident Attorney Orla, 18-Wheeler Accident Attorney Midland,  18-Wheeler Accident Attorney Odessa, 18-Wheeler Accident Attorney Big Spring,  18-Wheeler Accident Attorney Andrews,  18-Wheeler Accident Attorney Pecos,  18-Wheeler Accident Attorney Monahans,  18-Wheeler Accident Attorney Orla, Oilfield Accident Attorney Midland,  Oilfield Accident Attorney Odessa, Oilfield Accident Attorney Big Spring,  Oilfield Accident Attorney Andrews,  Oilfield Accident Attorney Pecos,  Oilfield Accident Attorney Monahans,  Oilfield Accident Attorney Orla, Wrongful Death Attorney Midland,  Wrongful Death Attorney Odessa, Wrongful Death Attorney Big Spring,  Wrongful Death Attorney Andrews,  Wrongful Death Attorney Pecos,  Wrongful Death Attorney Monahans,  Wrongful Death Attorney Orla, Jon Hanna, John Hannah, Jon Hanna, Rahul Malhotra, Israel Medina, Mason Herring, Hunter Craft, Arnold & Itkin, Wats Geurra, Kevin Kornegay, Chad Jones, Kemmy Law, Gregg Price, Israel Guardiola, Bill Weinacht, Chad Jones Law, Ketterman Rowland

copyright 2020, Rachel Ambler.  ~ This website may constitute Attorney Advertising. ~  Rachel Ambler is the attorney responsible for the content of this website. ~  The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.  Transmission or receipt of any information from this website does not create an attorney-client relationship, and you should not act or rely upon any information appearing on this website without seeking the advice of an attorney.  Moreover, because the law is constantly changing, the materials appearing on this website are not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date.  Note also that sending an e-mail to our office does not create an attorney-client relationship, and none will be formed unless there is an expressed agreement between the firm and the client.  Thus, we strongly advise against sending confidential or privileged information to us until you can establish such a relationship.  Furthermore, we advise against sending privileged or confidential information through e-mail at all, since we can in no way ensure the security of your e-mail.